Thursday, September 10, 2009

Video Assignment #1--Mina Dixon

I'm a print journalist. I like words. I do, however, recognize that sometimes words aren't enough to convey a full, compelling story. "The Ninth Floor" moved me in a way that a classic article, one that included a lede and inverted pyramid style, simply could not have. The powerful images coupled with the eery, half-dead sound of the people featured in the mulitmedia feature were really what got me fully invested in the story of these Ninth Floor residents.

"The Ninth Floor" really provides tangible evidence for how journalism has changed. So I know I need to embrace technology and learn how to tell stories across multiple platforms using multiple media. I'm think I'm poorly equipped for a career in journalism if I don't learn how to use video and audio to bolster my articles.

I am still concerned that I will end up like that Washington Post reporter featured in class. I'm afraid that I'll bounce the camera around and provide garbled audio because I'm really not very good with technology. I certainly don't want my lack of technological abilities to detract from the stories I hope to tell. So here's to hoping that this class will equip me with the skills to create compelling journalism using technology I'm currently afraid to use!


No comments:

Post a Comment